Tricoderma

P Okerholm pokerholm at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 18:01:15 EST 1997


I received a question about tricoderma via E-Mail but have been unable to
return the mail. Apparently the address is incorrect. Sooo... here's my
reply via this medium.

Susan,

Regarding Tricoderma problems
 
      The note you saw of mine is a fairly old one. It was many months ago
that I tried baking soda on tricoderma. Since that time I've tried other
remedies with varying levels of success/failure

       I did the baking soda experiment based on something I saw in one of
Paul Stamets' books. The book stated that Tricoderma preferred a lower Ph
than the Shiitake mycelium. So I thought the baking soda would raise the
Ph in favor of the
mycelium. It didn't work all that well.

        I also tried Spirolina, an algae sold in health food stores. This
works, but the Spirolina is very expensive. It also needs to be kept
uncontaminated or you run the risk of adding a contaminant to the block
when you apply it. Finally during the
Spirolina experiment, the grow room developed a major Penicillium problem.
There may have been other contributing factors to the problem, but I think
the Spirolina provided a nutrient base for the Penecillium. Anyway I
discontinued it.

        The last experiment I did involved Hydrogen Peroxide. I didn't
really complete this one; I just took some 3% peroxide from the drug store
and sprayed it on a splotch of Tricoderma. It arrested the Tricoderma but
the particular block I sprayed it on did nothing, it didn't fruit and it
didn't die, so I don't know if the peroxide had any negative effects on
the mycellium or not. I didn't repeat the experiment because of time
constraints etc.. Also, I'm certified organic so I wasn't sure if I could
use the Peroxide in production anyway.

        I haven't pursued any more experiments since then. I took a more
conservative approach and installed a HEPA filter on my incoming air suppy
and a foot bath at the entrance of the grow room. I then purged the area
of contaminated blocks and cleaned up the room. I also had learned a lot
about keeping the
blocks healthy as well. The combination of keeping the blocks healthy and
cleaning up any mold that develops has resulted in the reduction of the
problem to what I consider managable.

        Try my E-Mail again if you want. We should be able to get a
dialogue going.

Regards,
Paul





More information about the Mycology mailing list