Fungi that decompose hair?...........

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Wed Jan 29 11:23:54 EST 1997

In article <32ECF121.74B6 at ibex.ca> "Achim Recktenwald, PhD" <achim at ibex.ca> writes:
>From: "Achim Recktenwald, PhD" <achim at ibex.ca>
>Subject: Re: Fungi that decompose hair?...........
>Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:17:07 -0500

>Austin Reade wrote:

>[snip]
>>
>> Presumably hair is fairly resistant to microbial breakdown (keratin,
>> disulphide bonds ?).

>[snip]

>Is this just a guess or do you have some data to support this?

It's probably true, but not particularly relevant. My experience of fungi is
that between them they can eat just about anything. I have no doubt that, in
time, we'll see mould growing on old PET coke bottles.

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)