deadly Boletus look-alike in the Sierra?

Thomas ODell odellt at ucs.orst.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:03:32 EST 1997

I suspect that the press has it wrong as they so often do...
most likely Amanita ocreata ( or phalloides) is being mistaken for A.
calyptrata (group). I am not aware of any  _deadly_ boletes (B. satanus
may cause sever nausea, but is unlike to be mistaken for any commonly
eaten species).
I notice that some Center for Poison control is quoted as recommending to
not eat _any_ wild mushrooms. This is mycophobia in action; more people
die from eating wild plants (water hemlock in particular) than from
mushroom poisoning, yet they never caution against eating wild plants in
such paranoid terms.

Thom O'Dell
Regional Mycologist
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
Assistant Professor (Courtesy)
Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University
Forestry Sciences Laboratory
3200 Jefferson Way
Corvallis, Oregon 97331    U.S.A.
phone: (541) 750-7404      fax: (541) 750-7329
Email:  odellt at fsl.orst.edu     http://www.orst.edu/~odellt