spam and porn on this newsgroup

Tom Johnston rtj at fhso.navy.mil
Tue Jun 3 12:23:51 EST 1997

Ok, I'll weigh in with a contrary opinion.  Personally, I don't see any
compelling reason to moderate bionet.mycology.  Admittedly there has
been the occasional spam and off-topic post, but with one bad message
out of 31 in my server's news spool right now, I would say the group is
far from being overwhelmed.  Jeez, I'll probably get more email spam
_personally_ from this one post than the group will in a month --
moderation won't help _that_ !

Now if the folks that hijacked alt.nature.mushrooms get to be a problem,
then we can talk about moderation... not that I have any prejudice
against Psylocybe cultivation, I just think there's too much off-topic
noise cross-posted from alt.drugs.* and the like.

--Tom