ecological survey technique for macrofungi

Thomas ODell odellt at ucs.orst.edu
Mon Jun 9 12:32:28 EST 1997

Hi Stephen, You are right in suggesting that this is a common problem (for
mycologists), and in supposing that standard methods are lacking. I am
currently revising a chapter on the topic but dont expect it to be
published until sometime next year. Several examples are given in a recent
Forest Service Publication edited by Pliz and Molina. You should also
consult Winterhoff ed. Fungi in Vegetation Science.
Not to be discouraging, but I would add that several years of data are
required before one can compare diversity of different sites... at one
site where I have been sampling ectomycorrhizal sporocarps, species
ricchness _doubled_ in the fourth fall. And several species were quite
abundant that had not been previously observed. Then there is the question
of abundance, often counts of sporocarps have been used, but for your
purposes sporocarp biomass might be a better metric of resource s
available to your mycophagists.
One futher caution, 50 sites is a tremendous number to assess fungus
richness, try and get help from some local mycological societies. It
sounds like a very interesting project, much more remains to be learned
about arthropod-fungi interactions.
good luck!
Thom O'Dell
Email:  odellt at fsl.orst.edu     http://www.orst.edu/~odellt

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, S. Hartley wrote:

> Does anyone know of a standard survey technique for assessing
> abundance and diversity of macrofungi in woodlands?

SNIP!