Training dogs to sniff morels, truffles?

rexs13 rexs13 at open.org
Mon Jun 9 13:19:22 EST 1997

Susan Hogarth wrote:

> I thought I read somewhere that that's what the French do to find
> truffles these days. Maybe pigs are too greedy! And the USDA uses
> Beagles to sniff "contraband" food from luggage, so it should be
> easily
> do-able. I'm curious to know if you try it, and how well it works. I
> sure could use some help myself - it'd be nice to have the beagle
> going
> after morels instead of bunnies all of the time!
>
> ...she'd prob eat the morels, though! ;-)
>
> --
> Susan
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/sjhogart/public/home.html
>
> "Cow envy is more common than you would think." - doghair

 I can see the morels- train the kids to find them.

"Why is that guy driving up this forest road with a pig in his
truck?"Training a truffle dog is a rather easy process if one has the
truffles (a couple of hundred dollars worth!-) and the time.  A trained
truffle dog (costing about $1500) would pay for its self easily if a
person does not know how to locate truffles using their own senses. If
you are going to train a truffle dog, choose a dog that will not run off
to chase the deer and other critters.

I have a friend that hunts truffles with a dog and she finds them rather
easily but tends to wander while he digs. It has been suggested to me
that the dogs (like voles) are not discriminatory about the species of
truffle that they dig as they rely on detecting the ether given off by
ripe(ning) hypogeneous fungi. This has been contraty to my experience.
Sassy the truffle dog was trained on L. carthusiana and T. gibbosum. She
does not really like the truffles and it is a game to her.

Rex Swartzendruber

For info about obtaining a trained truffle dog, please email me.
Oregon Truffles?
http://www.open.org/rexs13/