Moderation

Peter Herman rpeter at nmsu.edu
Tue Jun 10 13:50:28 EST 1997

I have been following the discussion on moderation with interest.  Jim
White and I comoderate the symbiosis list so I can contribute some
toward answering a few questions.

RESTRICTIONS ON POSTING
We both take a broad view of what is appropriate and post things which
even skirt the edges of symbiosis.

We both automatically kill stuff that is porn or commercial spam.  In a
small group like ours, this can represent 50% of what comes in.  We
havent started to get the "authors wanted" crap here yet but we will :-(

If we think that something is off topic but appropriate to another
group, we advise the poster of the better group.

JOINT MODERATION
A group can have co moderators but they take turns rather than do it at
the same time.  For example, I do odd months and Jim does even.  You
could use other schemes, but a regular timetable makes it easier on the
system administrators because they can run the moderator change software
automatically rather than by hand.

Hope this helps.
--
*   Peter Herman, Dept. of Biology      Phone: +1 505 646 4532    *
*   New Mexico State University         Fax:   +1 505 646 5665    *