Disinfection of spore samples?

Kevin kh123 at BABBAGE.AAR.COM
Wed Jun 11 00:01:33 EST 1997

Does anyone know of a way that can reduce the amount of unwanted
microbal life in a "real world" spore sample, without entirely killing
the spores themselsves?

Can something like a timed exposure to shortwave UV (germicidal) work,
or some dilute chemical method?  It would be fine if some spores did die,
if a much higher percentage of "other" life died also, while still
leaving some spores still viable.

I would think that spores would withstand more abusive disinfectants,
than simpler life like yeasts, bacteria, etc.

I recently tried to grow morchella from spores contained in a package
of dried morels from the grocery store.  There was such a wide variety
of other life, that I'm not sure I isolated the correct colonies from
the agar plates.  I did obtain two clean cultures of grey mycelia (?),
that tends to form upwards growing fibers (as opposed to growing
horizontally accross the agar).  I should say they did grow rapidly accross
the agar first, and now are growing upwards instead.  The mycelial fibers are
about 5-6mm high, and you can see tiny black specs in it.  The agar is not
staining a dark brown (but is a light brown), as Paul Stamet's description
states in his book.  Does anyone recognize this as a correct isolation of
morchella mycelia?

Getting back to the original question, I would like to try again at
growing the spores, but would like to try reducing the number of competing
microorganisms before growing the spores.

Any suggestions?

Even better - does anyone have some "clean" samples of morel spores, or
live morel spawn/mycelia they could spare?

Thanks!

Kevin

--
Kevin