To the readers of bionet.mycology

John JackMurphy jmurphy at TFM.FMNH.ORG
Thu Jun 12 08:52:56 EST 1997

Dear fellow mycologists;

Here's my spin of the spam/moderator issue.

Some of us think there is too much spam coming through; some of us don't.

The spam, and only the spam,  can be eliminated if someone volunteers to
filter it out, and if the leaders of the mycology discussion group "tell us
that the readership of the group wishes to do so" (from the Biosci "FAQ"
sheet).

The screening of posts should not take more than 2 minutes of the
volunteer's time, so reports of mushroom occurrences would continue to be
timely.

No one in discussion relating to this issue has suggested that anything be
screened except posts that don't relate to fungi.

Nathan Wilson volunteered to be a moderator and suggested the rules pasted
below.

This discussion needs closure.

I suggest the leaders of this discussion group, gsmay at bcm.tmc.edu (Gregory
S. May), Leland Ellis <leland at xian.tamu.edu>, and Tom Adams
(tom at bio.tamu.edu) poll the readership of this discussion group.  If most
of the respondents feel we don't need moderation, then the issue dies.  If
most feel we do need moderation, the discussion leaders should take the
required steps.

respectfully submitted,

Jack