morels in east texas?

Depree, Jonathan A depreej at lincoln.ac.nz
Fri Jun 13 09:55:45 EST 1997

In article <01bc76a5$ee5ec180$170819c4 at intekom2968> "Albé van der Merwe ZA" <vdmerwea at intekom.co.za> writes:
>From: "Albé van der Merwe ZA" <vdmerwea at intekom.co.za>
>Subject: Re: morels in east texas?
>Date: 11 Jun 1997 20:24:44 GMT

>Comments on the following message:

>kathlene <kathlene at ktsnet.com> wrote in article
><5nmb6r$fs5 at news1.iamerica.net>...
>> Is there anyway to grow morels in east texas? Is there some place where
>we
>> can get spores? Any help on this will be appreciated.
>> thanks,
>> kathlene
>>

>As far as I know, It is very difficult to grow Northern hemisphere asco's
>in the South, even if you are not actually south of the equator! The reason
>is that these fungi are adapted to very humid contidions, and also special
>types of soil and hosts (if they are biotrophic like morels). You can get
>more details on the subject of morels and truffels (Family: Pezizales) in
>Bryce Kendrick's book, The Fifth Kingdom. I will ask my peers about this
>topic. You can e-Mail me so we can discuss this. Personally, I find the
>subject very interesting!

Difficult perhaps, but not impossible. There are one or two places in New
Zealand growing truffles, but i don't think they are producing them
commercially yet. It does depend on a whole variety of soil conditions,
climate humidity etc.
One day i hope to try some truffle myself.

>PS: This is exactly why morels and truffels are so expensive - they
>absolutely refuse to grow under artificial conditions. We here in South
>Africa find them an oddity, and very few of us have seen these things in
>the mycelium (I, for one, haven't). Even less have ever tasted it!

>--
>N. A. van der Merwe
>Dept. Microbiology and Biochemistry
>University of the Free State
>Bloemfontein, ZA
>e-Mail (HOME):   vdmerwea at intekom.co.za
>e-Mail (UFS)    :   vdmerwea at wwg3.uovs.ac.za

Jonathan Depree,
Lincoln University, P.O. Box 84, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Socrates was a famous Greek Teacher who went around giving
people advice. They killed him.   (school history howler)