Agaricus identification

Jess Askey jess at links.magenta.com
Thu Jun 12 11:58:00 EST 1997

> Michael A. Dritschel (mad at banach.math.purdue.edu) wrote:
> : We have had quite a bit of rain here in Lafayette, Indiana, over the
> : past few weeks and lots of mushrooms are popping up.  There is one
> : that I have an identification question about.  It is growing in the
> : chipped wood and leaf mulch I have spread under a lilac bush.  The
> : spores are cocoa brown, the stipe separates readily from the pileus,
> : and the giles are pinkish, turning brown with maturity; leading me to
> : identify it as an Agaricus.  The cap is about 10cm agross in mature
> : specimens, convex, with small pieces of the veil clinging to the
> : margin.  The color is white to light tan with large irregular
> : fissures.  The stipe is about 10cm in length, and about 1.5cm across,
> : fibrillose, with little to no annulus.  No part of the pileus stains,
> : and the stipe stains slightly (though not in all specimens), yellow or
> : yellow orange and then turning light brown.  Various books mention
> : checking the smell, saying in particular to look out for phenolic
> : odors (like library paste).  I don't find the smell of these
> : unpleasant (in fact I rather like it), though I'm not sure I would
> : know what library paste smells like.  Unfortunately I do not have any
> : KOH solution, so cannot test the mushrooms with this.  I've checked
> : the usual sources (Aurora; McKnight; Smith, Smith, and Weber) without
> : a positive id.

I have something almost exactly the same here in my front lawn in
Laramie, WY. Only difference
being that mine do not stain yellow and the young specimens have a vail
that really looks
like a volva at first glance.
  From what I have read in Mushrooms Demystified... the yellow staining
species should be avoided,
but then again... I know a fair amount about mushrooms, maybe just
enough to be stupid.
  Jess Askey
--
Unofficial Atari Game Page:http://magenta.com/havoc

Lots of other General Arcade Game info at
      http://arcadegames.miningco.com