Morels in East Texas

Fungophile fungophile at
Thu Jun 19 15:00:06 EST 1997

I looked up Morels in "Texas Mushrooms" by Susan and Van Metzler and here
is what it said under Habit, habitat and distribution for Morchella

Single to numerous  on ground, often under oaks and "cedar" (Juniperis
virginiana), or along creek beds. They are most common on limestone soils
(alkaline) but have also been found in the acid soils of east Texas. They
have been reported from Big Bend, the Plateau and Hill Country, the East
timber belt, and parts of the Big Thicket.

Morel spawn is available from a number of sources, one with a site on the
web is Fungi Perfecti ( I am sure they could help you out
with a lot more information.

Scott Mcphee