Quick and dirty PCR

Kelly Patrice Collins kpcollin at students.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 1 15:45:20 EST 1997

Hello Elisa and Dave,

Believe it or not, we have had very good luck with even simpler
procedures than those described here.  This method has worked so far with
dried specimens, spores, and mycelium.

For dried (or fresh) specimens, just take a little bit of the gill tissue
and grind it up in 500 ul of TBE, spin it down for 10 minutes at about
6k.  The supernatant can be used in PCR straight, or more successfully,
at a 1:100 dilution.

This has worked well for me with dried herbarium material (fresher the
better, though), with spores from spore prints with herbarium material
(preferable to tissue samples if at all possible) and with mycelium grown
on cellophane (agar screws things up, as you probably know).

Hope this helps.