Saprophytes: Where Do They Come From?

Kelly Patrice Collins kpcollin at students.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 1 15:51:30 EST 1997

Hello -

Sorry, Jessie, it's not that I disbelieve you at all, it's just that I
like to get second opinions.

My question is:  Where do saprophytes go when there is nothing dead
around?  Are they growing innocuously in living substrate until the
substrate dies and they take over?  If so, are they draining some
nutrients from the substrate and, thereby, weakening it somehow?  Or do
they just exist as spores that float around and don't actually germinate
until a suitable substrate is found?

Any answers and/or citations are appreciated!