The Passing of a Great Mycologist

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Thu May 1 20:43:34 EST 1997

I received the following directly from Vince O'Neil via e-mail.

"Josiah Lowe... was a kindly, unassuming man whose modesty concealed his
scholarship and intellectual achievement.  I first met him about twenty
years ago when he taught a wildflower identification course at University
College.  Dr. Lowe
was a naturalist in the broadest sense of that word.  He provided generous
counsel to beginners on field trips at the inception of the Central New
York
Mycological Society. I particularly recall his enjoyment while collecting
dozens of morels in the course of a foray on Gulf Road in the town of
Mycenae back when these delicacies proliferated in that area."
--Vince O'Neil  <ducksoup at future.dreamscape.com>

:-Davey
(David W. Fischer)
http://members.aol.com/xerula/xprt.html
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"