Scientific name of "foxfire"

Vicki Latta ds132 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Sat May 3 23:23:11 EST 1997

Jim Kistner Jr (ThisIs at supernetpower.com) writes:
> I am looking for the scientific name for the "foxfire" fungus known best
> in the Appalachians for the light it gives off. Any help will be
> appreciated. Either reply here or send e-mail to;  jkistner at cei.net

	I'm not sure if this is the one you're looking for, but I've heard
the "Jack o'Lantern" mushroom called "foxfire."  Have seen the scientific
name as Clitocybe illudens and also as Omphalotus illudens.  Superficially
resembles a chanterelle, but grows on wood rather than in the soil.

	Not one you want to eat, in any event. :(