spore suspensions

Paul F. Lehmann, Ph.D. lehmann at opus.mco.edu
Wed May 21 12:32:20 EST 1997

In article <19970520192601.PAA29099 at ladder02.news.aol.com>,
parasit at aol.com (PARASIT) wrote:

> does anyone have a specific surfactant that will do a good job
> indispersing spores in water?

It depends on the use and the spore type.  We use 0.05% (vol/vol) Tween 80
to suspend spores of Aspergillus fumigatus that are going to be injected
into mice.  We also use young cultures as the hydrophobicity seems much
greater for older spores.  To get single spore suspensions it was also
necessary to shake the original suspension vigorously and allow clumps
either to settle fairly quickly or to be caught in the air bubbles that
end up in the froth. Then the material that is below the froth is taken.
The shaking and collection of sample from below the froth is repeated as
necessary to obtain single spore suspensions.  These are then diluted in
Tween-saline for injection.

Below is the reference for our protocol.  There are several other methods
including resuspension in dilute agar when spores are being sprayed on
surfaces such as is often needed in forestry/plant pathology.  Different
soaps have different degrees of toxicity, so you'll need to check your own
system.

Lehmann PF, White LO.  Chitin assay used to demonstyrate renal
localization and cortisone-enhanced growth of Aspergillus fumigatus
mycelium in mice.  Infection and Immunity 12:987-992, 1975

Paul Lehmann
lehmann at opus.mco.edu