Chanterelle look-alike???? (help)

Basidium basidium at
Wed May 21 18:59:13 EST 1997

"jeheagle" <jeheagle at> wrote:

> About a month ago, I heard an artical on NPR (National Public Radio)
> a mushroom that is very poisonous, highly variable in color, and one
> phase mimics the beloved Chanterelles.

To reiterate what someone (Jim Berlstein, I think...?) already said:

A. phalloides, the toxic "Death Cap" mushroom is:
a) almost certainly what they were talking about; and
b) as much a "look-alike" for a chanterelle as a rhino is for a porpoise.

Damn the mass media!

(David W. Fischer)
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"