Lentinus tigrinus edible?

BPickel1 bpickel1 at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 15:40:28 EST 1997

It is really a bad mushroom-season in Germany (no rain in the whole manth of
september!). That's why we have to take in account species which we would
neglect in better years. For this reason I'm interested to know whether
young specimen of lentinus tigrinus (syn. panus tigrinus) are edible. German
mycologic literature reports lentinus tigrinus as to be inedible, mentionning
its tough consistence; but  there is no hint that l. tigrinus could be
poisonous, and the young specimen that I have found are as tender as - for
instance - pleurotus ostreatus.
Bernd