fairy rings

Scott McPhee hyphae at msn.com
Tue Oct 14 01:29:09 EST 1997

Hello there everyone,

I was talking with my biology instructor today about fairy rings. He raised
the question why fairy rings occur. We understand that the mycelium grows
outward each year while the inner mycelium dies. But why would not spores
produced by the mushrooms in the fairy ring germinate in and around it,
thereby distorting the ring with many fairy rings or a more continious
mycelium? Are there that few spores that actually germinate? Does the
parent mycelium produce a chemical or otherwise inhibit the growth of new
colonies?

Curious,

Scott Mcphee