help on protocol

Jacqueline Edwards j.edwards at landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 18:43:16 EST 1997

Here's some more for you.  I've successfully extracted DNA from Puccinia
menthae using our lab DNA extraction protocol for plant DNA, but I can't
give it out til we have published.  What I am trying to say is that I don't
think you'll find it difficult. From my point of view, the hardest part
(certainly the most time-consuming) was collecting enough urediniospores.
A minimum of 10mg appears to be necesssary.

Puccinia recondita - Kolmer et al - Phytopathology 85, 276-285
Puccinia striiformis - Chen et al - Phytopathology 83, 1489-1497
    ditto                - Chen et al - Phytopathology 85, 1335-1342
Uromyces appendiculatus - Aust J. Bot - 42, 255-267

>Anderson, P.A., Tyler, B.M. and Pryor A.(1992) "Genome complexity of the
>maize rust fungus, Puccinia sorghi". Exp. Mycol. 16(4), 302-307.
>
>>Does anybody have a good protocol for DNA extraction from uredospores
>>of Puccinia?
>>
>>Eugenio Cesar Ulian
>>Molecular Biology Section, Head
>>Copersucar Technology Center
>>13400-970 Piracicaba Sao Paulo
>>Brazil
>>
>>e-mail: ulian at azul.ctc.com.br
>>Voice: 5519-429-8283
>>Fax: 5519-429-8388
>

>****************
>Brett Tyler
>Professor
>Department of Plant Pathology
>University of California, Davis
>One Shields Ave.,
>Davis, CA95616
>bmtyler at ucdavis.edu
>
>Note: UCDavis' area code changes to 530 after Nov 1, 1997

Jacqueline Edwards
Tel: +61 3 9344 6458/7031
Fax: +61 3 9344 5570
Email: j.edwards at landfood.unimelb.edu.au
Mail:   Institute of Land and Food Resources,
        The University of Melbourne,
        Parkville 3052,
        Victoria, AUSTRALIA