FUNGI IN MEDICINE

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Mon Sep 8 02:21:06 EST 1997

In article <340C6C50.929AA5A2 at worldnet.att.net>,
  "Alan S. Wicks" <NAP-4 at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> s9603056 at dixie.udw.ac.za wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> > Can you please send me information on the above topic. The following
> > topics under this topic need to be covered viz. Antibiotics,
> > Antitumour and Antiviral agents from Fungi, Immunoregulators produced
> > by fungi
> > I would really appreciate it if you could send me the information as
> > soon as possible. The seminar on the above topic is due on 12
> > September 1997.
> Greetings,
>
> As the other respondent stated, this is a very large subject.  To get a
> feel for some of the extent of the information on the subject, go to the
> site below for a lit search for the National Institute of Health Data
> Base (FREE!!).  You can look for specific fungi and/or diseases.
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez/medline.html

A couple of sources.

GROWING GOURMET & MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS by Paul Stamets has reference
citations to immunoactivating and antitumorous properties, and is
available from Ten Speed Press, P.O. Box 7123, Berkely, CA 94707, c.
1993.

THE BIOLOGY AND CULTIVATION OF EDIBLE MUSHROOMS by Chang and Hayes,
(Academic Press, Inc. (London) Ltd., 24/28 oval Road, London NW1 7DX) has
several important references including "Medical Effects" by Kenneth W.
Cochran, and "Biological Nature" by W. A. Hayes. Additional references to
specific mushrooms can be found under their headings, i.e. "Flammulina
velutipes" by H. Tonomura; and "Tricholoma matsutake" by V. Tominaga.

MUSHROOMS POISONS AND PANACEAS by Denis R. Benjamin. c. 1995 by W.H.
Freeman and Company, New York.

With over 10,000 species of fungi from the Pacific Northwest alone,
medicinal effects of fungi requires some knowledge of species.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com