Mushrooms in spain esp. canary islands

Moselio Schaechter mschaech at SUNSTROKE.SDSU.EDU
Mon Sep 8 11:05:46 EST 1997

At 10:05 PM 9/5/97, Specht, Wolfgang wrote:
>Who can tell me literature on mushrooms in spain esp. canary islands
>Who knows more about mushrooms in Tenerife?
>Thanks for detailed information
>Wolfgang Specht
>Woodz at t-online.de

You have to be careful, because several  field guides in Spanish are
translations of other European books, thus are no help for the Canary
islands. The two volume "Guia de Incafo de los Hongos de la Peninsula
Iberica" by Moreno, Manjon and Zugaza,  is a fine guide to the mushrooms of
Spain but, as the title indicates, does not include the Canaries.

I am not aware of any specific publication on Canarian mushrooms, but the
person who would know is

Bill Roody
RR 1 Box 164-2
Montrose, West Virginia 26283-9502

He has spent quite a bit of time on the Canaries, studying and collecting
mushroom.  I doubt that he has e-mail, but I'm sure he will be glad to help
you.  he probably knows about as much this subject as anyone.

Sincerely,

Elio Schaechter

Author, "In the Company of Mushrooms"
Harvard University Press