Spore germination in Phytophthora ?

Jessie Micales jmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 8 07:54:54 EST 1997

Hello.  About 10 years ago I was working in a lab in which there
was some research with Phytophthora infestans.  The researchers
there would feed the spores to snails and then germinate them
from of the snail feces.  Apparently the snail digestive system
had enzymes in there that would soften up the coat.

Does anyone else have experience with this.  I know that you can
buy snail digestion enzymes, so perhaps there is a better way to
do this in vitro.  It's been a long time and I don't really
remember the details!

Good luck,

Jessie Micales
Forest Products Laboratory