What is this mushroom

Berlstein berlstein at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 01:26:19 EST 1997

>I have tried to find this mushroom in ordinary books.
>It's cap is 10 cm in diameter. It's height 10 cm.
>It's color is red and white (more or less).
>It's not a sapp or gilled it's got these small
>spikes instead (i don't know what you call it in english)
>These spikes are brownish.
>What makes this a strange looking mushroom is
>the top of the cap which is covered with upvard pointing
>bigger spikes or maybe tubes 2-3 cm long and 3-4 mm thick.
>On the downside of the cap there is drops of a clear
>red liquid. I found this in sweden in northern europe
>near stockholm.

Sounds like the Bleeding Hydnellum
hydnellum peckii

Can be found in David Arora's "All that the rain promises and more."  I do
not know if it is found commonly in Europe, or if it as an "accidental" as
the birdwatchers would say

"Those who have nothing to say usually say it about spelling."
-Jim Berlstein, BFD