Spore germination in Phytophthora ?

Brett Tyler bmtyler at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:19:19 EST 1997

The snail enzyme technique is for oospores not for encysted zoospores.

If you plate your zoospores directly on a rich medium such as V8 agar they
will encyst and germinate nicely.  One problem you should watch out for is
clumping of spores, and colonies which originate from mycelial fragments.
About 12-16 hr after plating your zoospores, you should examine you paltes
with a dissecting scope and mark those incipient colonies which have
clearly originated from a single spore.  If the plate is crowded and there
are spores nearby, you can use a scalpel to move the colony to a new plate.

>Hello.  About 10 years ago I was working in a lab in which there
>was some research with Phytophthora infestans.  The researchers
>there would feed the spores to snails and then germinate them
>from of the snail feces.  Apparently the snail digestive system
>had enzymes in there that would soften up the coat.
>
>Does anyone else have experience with this.  I know that you can
>buy snail digestion enzymes, so perhaps there is a better way to
>do this in vitro.  It's been a long time and I don't really
>remember the details!
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jessie Micales
>Forest Products Laboratory
>Madison, WI  USA

>I would like to isolate colonies of Phytophthora parasitica var nicotianae
>(Ppn) whose nuclei originate from a single nucleus. Mononucleate cells in
>this fungus are zoospores originating from young cysts. Zoospores of Ppn are
>easily obtained and one can encyst them by vortexing. But I failed to have
>them germinate in vitro. Has anybody experience in germinating encysted
>zoospores of Ppn in vitro?
>Thank you for your help,
>
>Arnaud
>

>Dr Arnaud Bottin
>UMR UPS-CNRS 5546
>Universite Paul Sabatier
>118, route de Narbonne
>F-31062 Toulouse cedex 04
>France
>
>Phone:  +33/(0)56 155 67 60
>FAX:    +33/(0)56 155 83 78
>Courel:  bottin at cict.fr

Brett Tyler
Professor
Department of Plant Pathology
University of California, Davis
One Shields Ave.,
Davis, CA95616
bmtyler at ucdavis.edu

Note: UCDavis' area code changes to 530 after Nov 1, 1997