What is this mushroom

Erik Westlin westlin at msi.se
Fri Sep 12 02:44:27 EST 1997

Berlstein wrote:

> >Hello
> >
> >I have tried to find this mushroom in ordinary books.
> >
> >It's cap is 10 cm in diameter. It's height 10 cm.
> >It's color is red and white (more or less).
> >The teeth are brownish.
> >What makes this a strange looking mushroom is
> >the top of the cap which is covered with upvard pointing
> >bigger spikes or maybe tubes 2-3 cm long and 3-4 mm thick.
> >On the downside of the cap there is drops of a clear
> >red liquid. I found this in sweden in northern europe
> >near stockholm.
>
> Sounds like the Bleeding Hydnellum
> hydnellum peckii
>
> Can be found in David Arora's "All that the rain promises and more."  I do
> not know if it is found commonly in Europe, or if it as an "accidental" as
> the birdwatchers would say
>> .

If this is what you mean
->http://www.cinenet.net/users/velosa/photos/H.peckii.html

no it's not that one since the red drops are on the downside of the cap.

It looks more like
->http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/research_groups/confocal/eseto/hydnell.htm
(Hydnellum aurantiacum) but the things on top of the cap seems at bit
different
and i don't know if this one has the red drops.

- Erik