Compiling the Truffle FAQ - can you help?

Tanith_Tyrr Tanith_Tyrr
Sat Sep 13 02:08:28 EST 1997

WARNING: do not reply to this post directly.  I'm actually at
pleasure(at)netcom.com, and while I enjoy getting email from fellow
mycological enthusiasts, I don't like spam.  Truffles taste *much* better
than spam.

I am compiling a truffle FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), a document that
will be made publically available for researchers, consumers, travellers,
students, historians, cooks and anyone else interested in seeking
information about these fascinating and delectable fungi.

This is a nonprofit project (no money will be accepted or paid) for the
benefit of sharing knowledge with the Usenet community, and permission
will be granted in perpetuity for continued archival and electronic
publication of the document on any free and public site.

I am asking permission to reprint some of the informative articles I have
found in various Usenet posts or web sites for the FAQ, and also
soliciting additional material.  As I wish to make the FAQ as
comprehensive as possible, all subjects are open to submission.
Specifically I am seeking:

Scientific papers (preferably written at a level laypeople can begin to
understand with some study) specifically on edible and well known truffle
species, such as tuber magnatum pico, tuber gibbosum harkness, etc.  I
would especially like to see material on how to distiguish between
look-alike truffles offered commercially or popularly foraged.

Product reviews and announcements.  While this FAQ will *not* serve as an
ad or commercial endorsement, we do wish to compile information from
growers, foragers, product manufacturers and tourism bureaus so that the
consumer can find the information and make their own choices.

Culinary applications - tasting notes, recipes, comments, etc.

Historical data - Food ethnologist's perspectives on the historical use
of truffles in cooking as well as superstitions and beliefs surrounding
them.

If you have material you would like to contribute to the project, please
email me at pleasure(at)netcom.com.  This project is well underway (early
versions of this FAQ are available for review to contributors only), and I
hope to see it prosper and grow to become a valuable and freely available
resource for the online mycological and culinary community.

Regards,

Tanith Tyrr

"When the girl returned, some hours later, she carried a tray, with a cup of
fragrant tea steaming on it; and a plate piled up with very hot buttered
toast, cut thick, very brown on both sides, with the butter running through
the holes in it in great golden drops, like honey from the honeycomb.  The
smell of that buttered toast simply talked to Toad, and with no uncertain
voice; talked of warm kitchens, of breakfasts on bright frosty mornings, of
cosy parlour firesides on winter evenings, when one's ramble was over and
slippered feet were propped on the fender, of the purring of contented cats,
and the twitter of sleepy canaries."
  - The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame