contamination of edible mushrooms?

LWDutcher lwdutcher at
Tue Sep 16 07:43:02 EST 1997

I was referred to this newsgroup as a possible source for information
about contamination of edible mushrooms from the growing medium.
Specifically, I have what appear to be coprinus micaceous growing in the
lawn in my backyard.  They are right next to...and presumably growing
from....railroad ties used in landscaping.  I wonder if the creosote or
other nasties in the ties has contaminated the mushrooms, rendering them

If you have information or references, I would appreciate it.

Please be so kind to CC my email address, as well as answering to this

Linda Buchser
lwdutcher at