What grows on live tree leaves?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Wed Sep 17 02:08:11 EST 1997

In article <874219375.22787 at dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> It is probably too late to do anything about the fungus this year.
> However, adjustaing any nearby sprinklers to spray at lower levels may
> aid next year's foliage without applying fungicides, which can kill the
> mycorrhizal fungi necessary for the tree's health, and thus should be
> avoided.

A spray of wettable sulfur can be used to control powdery mildew without
harming mycorrhizal fungi.  Just use enough to wet the leaves, not so much
as to water the whole blinking tree!

This can also be used on shrubs and vegetables.  Sulfur is harmless to
insects and a natural soil nutrient.  I don't know if it's approved for
organic use, but just wash it off the surface of vegetables and it
won't hurt you.

During the dormant season, a dormant spray of lime-sulfur solution and
light oil is used to control many tree diseases.  Once again, as long as
it isn't over-applied, it won't hurt mycorrhizae at all.

-- Larry