Fungi found 9/20/97

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Mon Sep 22 12:14:18 EST 1997

This last weekend has been full of fungi. After one of the wettest
Septembers I can remember, lots of early mushrooms and fungi are
sprouting. The shiitake logs have been fruiting for the last three weeks.
Found one monster specimen which would have been about 8 inches across if
the Banana slugs hadn't reached it first.

Fetid puffballs began showing up in the lawn Saturday.

Picked about 7 pounds of chanterelles on Saturday, and saw lots of corals,
Russula, and Amanitas. Last week found a Truncocolumella citrina epigeous
on a moss bed in the same area. My partner made chanterelle pickles using
the OMS Cookbook for marinated Agaricus: boy, that came out well. (Used
thyme, basil and oregono for "fines herbs") Have to go out again to feed
this new taste.

Last week got permission to hunt a new site in Washington. Was going to
advise whether site was appropriate for truffle inoculation. Advise turned
out to be unnecessary: almost every tree was already fruiting small Tuber
gibbosum, some of which were quite ripe. Was surprised to see a number of
insect-infested truffles, unusual this early in the season. Yesterday went
back and harvested 2.5 pounds of truffles.

Also found a dead bird, presumably an owl, judging from abundant owl
pellets nearby. A metal tag is still visible on the carcass, which appears
to have died about 2 weeks ago. Can anyone advise what should be done with
this tag? Body appears to be about 18 inches long from beak to talons, and
had a wing-span of perhaps 26-30 inches. Another owl has also taken up
residence in the stand, this one a barn owl. I presume he is feeding on
the abundant vole population, which is already feeding on some of the
surface truffles.

Last Sunday a new member to OMS brought over several species of fungi from
near Trout Lake in Mount Hood National Forest for identification. These
proved to be large Russulas and Amanitas, for the most part. Several
Ramaria botrytis mixed in, with a single Sparassis radicata and Hericium
abietis. I suggested she try the Hericium, after she ate nearly a third of
a quart jar of my marinated chanterelles! Will have to go back this
weekend to find more chanterelles to make more marinated chanterelles.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com