Guttation in polypores

Erast Parmasto e.parmasto at zbi.ee
Fri Sep 26 07:37:50 EST 1997

Matthias Klein wrote 22 Sep 1997 14:53:41:
> in the last weeks I often found species of Fomitopsis, i.e. F. pinicola,
> with drops of water hanging at it.
> Does anybody know where this water comes from?
> Is it a kind of guttation, an active process?
> Why and how does this fungi excret water, if it does?

Guttation is usual in actively growing fruitbodies of several polypores:
Fomitopsis pinicola, Abortiporus biennis, Inonotus dryadeus, I. hispidus
a.o. This phenomenon is well described in Ingo Nuss, Zur o"kologie der
Porlinge. II (Bibliotheca Mycologica 105. J. Cramer Verl., Berlin &
Stuttgart, 1986), p. 81-84; a good bibliography is given there, too.
   Erast Parmasto

Erast Parmasto
Institute of Zoology & Botany,
181 Riia St., EE 2400 Tartu, Estonia