Chloral hydrate

Andrew Grant adgrant at nospam.waterw.com
Fri Sep 26 13:14:21 EST 1997

In article <60ciut$htt$1 at was.hooked.net>, peter at well.com (Peter
Febbroriello) wrote:

>I need Chloral hydrate or a reasonable substitute. This stuff is no
>longer available without a DEA license, and is (or was) a key reagent
>for the study of mushrooms. Can anyone spare some? Know of a replacement?

   I don't know the chemistry involved in melzers solution (if someone has
a reference I would appreciate it) but it occurs to me that a closely
related compound such as chloroacetaldehyde might work about as well.  If
you decide to try chloroacetaldehyde make sure you get a material safety
data sheet before you handle it.
--
My email address in the header is altered to avoid junk mail.  If you wish to contact me by email substitute "water" for "nospam"
Andy Grant