Find fungi in Portland Oregon area

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Mon Sep 29 12:01:45 EST 1997

In article <01bccc9f$66268c80$bdbd2299 at default>,
  "Joseph Ventimiglia" <purphekt at msn.com> wrote:

> I will be visiting the Portland, Oregon area late in October.  Can anyone
> suggest areas were I might foray for some fungi?  I am interest in
> photographic and gastronomic rewards.

WARNING: spam trap ahead! To reply to the author of this post, you must
remove the tree seed.

Joseph,

Welcome to God's gift to fungi(s). Portland may be dreary, overcast, full
of trees and mushrooms, but some of us like it that way! Places to
prospect for fungi include: Mount Hood National Forest, less than an hour
away; Forest Park, one of the largest city parks in the world; Mt. Tabor
Park in SE Portland, where the cognizant find abundant canine coprophytic
fungi; and Clackamas County, only 25 minutes from Portland International
Airport, which hosts more Christmas trees than can be found in most
states at Christmas. I have found tree farms to be especially
interesting, if mostly monocultural, habitats for hypogeous fungi. And a
few years ago, I tried inoculating with Oregon White truffles with rather
good success!

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com