Truffles Found 2/25/98

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Thu Apr 30 00:03:20 EST 1998

In article <6i43kn$52b$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  kyosai at yin.or.jp wrote:

> In article <6i015h$bga$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:
> >
> > Found 2/25/98 at a tree farm in Clackamas County, OR at 530 feet elevation
> > under predominantly Douglas fir with understory of forbes, trailing
> > blackberry, snowberry, Western hazel, and Sword fern:
> >
> > Genabea cerebriformis
> > Tuber giganteum
> > Tuber gibbosum
> > Tuber sp. nov.
> > Martellia subochracea
> > Martellia brunnescens
> > Martellia sps
> > Endogone lactiflua
> > Endogone flammicorona
> > Rhizopogon sps (vinicolor?)
> > Rhizopogon sps (not vinicolor)
> > Hymenogaster sps.
> >
> > Dan,
>
>   Of the species mentioned above, which are edible?
>
>   If all happen to be edible, which would you consider to be the most
> delicious (after t.gibbosum, of course)?
>
> Todd
> kyosai at yin.or.jp

I _think_ all are edible except for the Endogone sps and Hymenogaster. I have
eaten Hymenogaster parksii before, and survived. However, it was NOT a
gastronomic delight, even in very small quantities. Plus there is the problem
of reliable identification of Hymenogasters: the genus is badly in need of
revision.

Endogone have strong fragrances after freezing. E. lactiflua smells like
butterscotch. But its edibility is unknown at this time, and I suspect, will
remain so for some time in the future.

According to Dr. James M. Trappe, all Tuber species found are edible to a
greater or lesser degree. Some are quite good to a small portion of the
population, others are widely popular. Since there has never been, to my
knowledge, a side-by-side testing of most of these species, largely because
many fruit at different time of the year, comparison of species by preference
is exactly that: a preference.

That being said, I prefer the smokey morel aroma of Tuber giganteum first,
Tuber gibbosum a close second, Tuber californicum - 3, Tuber murinum - 4,
Martellia subochracea - 5, Martellia brunnescens - 6, Genabea cerebriformis -
7. All of these preferences defer to the maturity of the species found, and
the abundance they are found in. I.E., if I find half a pound of Martellia
subochracea, I'd eat it before a single Tuber californicum, which is not noted
for its strong aroma or size.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com