Sulfur Shelf - Laetiporus sulphureus

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Aug 26 00:00:20 EST 1998

In article <35E0EBAC.7AB0 at ibm.net>,
  zzzy at ibm.net wrote:
> Ernest Ezis wrote:
> >
> > I just found a large cluster of Laetiporus sulphureus.  Can this mushroom be
> > dried or somehow preserved for later use?
>
> Does anyone have tips on preparing this fungi? I can't seem to get it
> tender, even if very young. Thanks.

Ready or not...

Recipes for Laetiporus sulphureus (formerly Polyporus s.), from Wild Mushroom
Cookery, edited by Mike Wells and Maggie Rogers.

POLYPORUS SULPHUREUS APPETIZER

	Simple and delicious!

1/2 pound bacon, cut into bit-size pieces
1 pound chopped P. sulphureus

	Saute bacon and P. sulphureus together until the bacon is slightly crisped
and the P. sulphureus cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
	Serve hot on toothpicks.

POLYPORE CORN CHOWDER

2 cups P. sulphureus, diced small (use only tender tips)
6 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons finely diced onion
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup half and half
2 cups milk
1 cup cooked whole kernel corn
1/4 cup dry vermouth
pinch of sage
dash freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

	In soup pot saute P. sulphureus and onion in butter until softened.
Mix flour with half and half; add to soup pot, stirring until thickening. Add
milk slowly. Add corn and vermouth. Season with sage, salt and pepper. Heat
through, but do not boil.

POLYPORUS SULPHUREUS SOUP

	This is a delicately flavored oriental-style soup which allows the subtle
Polypore flavor to come through.

3 quarts rich chicken broth
3 to 4 cups diced P. sulphureus
1.5 to 2 cups thinly sliced leeks
6 to 8 shallots, chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine, vermouth or sherry
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of one of the following:
	chopped parsley, chervil, chives or coriander leaf
3 cups shredded poached chicken

	Place all of the ingredients except the chicken, salt and pepper in a large
soup pot, simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes.
	When the soup is hot and the vegetables are tender, add the chicken. Simmer
until just heated through. Season with fresh ground pepper; add salt only if
needed.

POLYPORE OMELETTE

3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup diced P. sulphureus
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cream cheese
2 or 3 shallots, diced
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
5 or 6 eggs
1/2 cup cream or half and half
Salt and pepper

	Melt the butter in a heavy drying pan over low heat. beat the eggs
and cream, add salt and pepper to taste; pour into the pan. As the eggs start
to cook, sprinkle the Polypore, cheese, shallots and parsley over the top.
Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more until the egg mixture sets. Fold the omelette
over and remove from the heat; cover and let sit for 1 minute.	 Divide and
serve on 2 warmed plates with your favorite toast or muffins. Serves 2.

Additional recipes can be found in The Ultimate Mushroom Book, Mushrooms
Demystified, A Cook's Book of Mushrooms, and Some Edible Mushrooms. Your
library should have access to at least one of these.

Posted as a courtesy by
Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com