armillaria

Brian McNett brianmc at telebyte.net
Mon Dec 7 10:05:09 EST 1998

In article <3665C34E.A2FB585F at terrareum.freeserve.co.uk> , Jetilla
<jahpatti at terrareum.freeserve.co.uk>  wrote:

>Don't know anything about culturing or extracting them, but is anyone aware
>that the Armillaria mellea is bioluminescent? I found some while stumbling
>around in the dark once.
>Might post the article later, if I get round to typing it up.

This is, or should be common knowledge.  Armillaria mellea is one of several
fungi which are known to produce "foxfire."  Omphalatos olivacens, and
several species of Mycena also do this.

# Brian McNett
# Fungal Parataxonomy                Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer   **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster at mycoinfo.com>         <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>