Morchella and mykorrhiza

Edward Spiegel espiegelNOSPAM at sirius.com
Wed Dec 23 14:07:33 EST 1998

In article <74buni$o6s$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> I suspect that nature has favored morel mycelium with being more tolerant of
> the carbon-rich environment after cool fires, and the acidic conditions found
> immediately thereafter. They may also be drawn to concentrations of potash
> left by fires.

I believe that the current theory is that the charcoal left from a burn
leaves a fair amount of phenol (I think it was phenol) which inhibits
competitor molds and yeasts and bacteria from growing. So morel mycelium
makes contact with such an area and thrives. When the phenol levels drop
after a year or two, the competitors take over.

The biologist/mycologist who wrote the paper seemed pretty convinced that
this competition inhibition was the reason for finding morels at burn sites
not the nutritional balance.

I can't remember where i came across the research but at the time (about 8
months ago) I recall being very impressed by the article.

--E