Preventing mildew in botanical specimens?

Freddie freddie at nym.lycaeum.org
Wed Feb 25 09:41:34 EST 1998

When shipping botanicals, what is the best way to prevent the formation
of mildew. If a semi-dried plant sample does become contaminated, is
there a safe organic way to remove the mold.

I've tried a toothbrush and clean warm water on barks of woody vines,
this removes most of the trouble, but I looking for something to shift
the heavier and more stubborn areas.

I've been shipping semi dried plants in sealed bags, but this causes
condensation problems and makes the mildew worse. Would wrapping in
paper be better, or some kind of desiccant?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Freddie.