Mold On Cheese

Ron A. Zajac zajac at Snortel.com
Wed Feb 25 09:41:39 EST 1998

Dear Fungus Freaks,

  As a lad, I was always told that the cure for mold on cheese is just
to slice it off; and the thinner the slice the better (to conserve
cheese).

  What's the truth?  How deep does cheese mold mycelium go?  How deep
should I slice?  Should I just write the block off, chucking it out in
abject horror?

  By-the-way, I used to be an avid 'shroom hunter in Michigan (edibles:
Scotch Bonnets, Coprinus, the occasional Agaricus.  Also, just scoping
out the huge variety).  But now I live around Dallas (TX), with much
less fungal beauty in evidence... B^(.

  Thanks in advance for the help (re cheese).  If you email, remember to
remove the antispam cap 's'.