Identification Assistance Requested

RAPHAEL PANITZ price1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 9 08:35:54 EST 1998

I can't seem to identify a mushroom growing in my front yard.  Here are the characteristics:

Habitat:
     Growing on the semi-exposed root of a Water Maple.  The roots run along the ground and are
partially exposed to the air.  The mushrooms start growing when there is a little bit of dirt
covering the root.  When I pull up a cluster, it is always attached to the buried root and has
its rhizomorphs digging into the tree root.
     Had a lot of rain recently and temperatures in the high 80s

Clusters:
     At least 10 or 20 growing from a single location on the tree root.
     I have about 7 clusters now growing on the root (growing over a space of about 20 feet,
with another 5 clusters developing.
     The "clusters" have a LOT of overlap and are tightly packed
     Some in shade, some in direct sunlight
     Mature cluster can be 12" x 8" x 4" -- a tight mass of mushrooms
     The rhizomorphs are brown and all stalks come together in a single place on the root of the
Maple tree.

Spore Print:
     White

Cap:
     1" when young, 2(maybe 2 1/2) inches at maturity
     Plane when young, becoming Depressed in age
     Dry
     Very light tannish brown
     Smooth to touch, but slightly scaly-looking

Gills:
     Adnate when young, becoming decurrent in age
     Not crowded
     Varying lengths
     White becoming yellowish in age

Flesh:
     White

Stalk:
     Central
     Thin (1/4 ")
     Brown with vertical lines

Odor:
     Mild, "mushroomy" smell -- no difference when crushed

Texture:
     Similar to Agaricus Bisporus i.e. not brittle, watery, or tough

Universal Veil:
     Absent

Partial Veil:
     Absent