Identification Assistance Requested

RAPHAEL PANITZ price1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 11 10:38:24 EST 1998

 I live in Manassas, VA.  The tight association with a living tree root also amazed me and I
thought it would make it easy to identify (esp given the other characteristics -- white flesh,
white spore print, growing in clusters, etc.), but I couldn't find anything.  Slugs and maggots
love it.  The maggots will reduce it to a brown mass of slime (with a few stalks sticking up) in
a day.