What's happened to rec.food.historic?

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Wed Jul 22 00:13:48 EST 1998

In article <1998072019471400.PAA20239 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
  bcodom at aol.com (BCOdom) wrote:
> >Other than that odd movie whose theme is to show the food.... any great
> examples to the contrary, particularly 50 years ago?>>>
>
> Two movies come to mind (both set in the past)....
>
> In "The Age of Innocence" Martin Scorsese went to great lengths to present an
> authentic , circa 1870 world where propriety is everything. I recall many
> beautiful scenes throughout this movie, particularly those that focused on the
> artfully-prepared 13 course meals that the upper crust enjoyed in this period.
> There was real food on the huge silver platters and I remember thinking as I
> watched, "I hope the crew enjoyed all that food."  I don't recall too many
> specifics as to what was actually served (I think this movie came out in the
> early 90s) but I may rent it just to focus in on some of the "foodie" details.
>
> The only other movie I can think of that showed real food was "Babette's Feast"
> a wonderful little foreign film that's about this woman who wins big in a
> lottery (I'm not sure when, but not current-day) , and spends it all creating
> one last magnificent dinner. I remember quail stuffed with truffles and foie
> gras,and some kind of  turtle soup, and incredible desserts.Something was made
> in the shape of swans...  It takes her days to plan and create this masterpiece
> and she then serves it to these country folk she lives with....
>
> Barbara (who's glad she just found this newsgroup)

Addenda: I understand the producers of "Babette's Feast" actually used Oregon
Black truffles instead of French Black truffles. The difference is one of
intense fruitiness vs. overpowering garlic. Both truffles are good. And I
won't pass up any free French Black truffles. But I think the Oregon Black
truffle is quite as good, but in a completely different way.

BTW, the original name of Oregon Black truffle was Picoa carthusiana: Picoa
after the Pico, the great Italian mycologist who first described the Italian
White truffle (thus Tuber magnatum Pico); and carthusiana, a reference to the
French Carthusian Mountains, where the first material was found. Later the
original Picoa was found to not have warts, while the Oregon Black truffle has
warts. Additionally, a true Picoa species has since been found in Oregon also.
So to distinquish between the two, Picoa carthusiana became Leucangium
carthusiana.

Since some mycologists are not aware of that change, I have also posted this
reply to bionet.mycology.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com