Postdoctoral Research Position

clocklab clock at EVERYWHERE.ALWAYS
Tue Jun 2 23:47:34 EST 1998

***POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE******

We would like to identify and recruit a  colleague to join  our joint
lab effort to understand  the circadian clock system in Neurospora
crassa.

While we have several ongoing projects that are being pursued in only
one or jointly in both of our labs - including identification of novel
clock genes, mapping and cloning of known clock genes,  reverse genetics
of previously cloned genes such as frequency, and analysis of the
mechanisms through which clock-regulated target genes are
transcriptionally controlled - we are particularly interested in
identifying an individual to work with one or both of us on some aspect
of circadian clock-regulation of gene expression.

Some references to our recent work are appended to this note.

Based on our previous experiences, we  expect the successful candidate
will be (in order of importance)
(1) a socially responsible lab member able to interact well and easily
among the other 10 or 11 of us,
(2) hard working and self motivated,
(3) published,
(4) smart, and
(5) knowledgeable about molecular biology.

If this is you,  please have a current CV sent to one of us, along with
the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three scientists who know you
well and with whom we can have frank discussions.
If you know of someone like this, please forward this message.

NIH pay scale, position available now.

Jennifer J. Loros
jennifer.loros at dartmouth.edu

or

Jay C. Dunlap
jay.c.dunlap at dartmouth.edu

Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School
Hanover, NH  03755-3844

Some recent references to our work:

Loros, J. J. 1995. The Molecular Basis of the Neurospora Clock.
Seminars in the Neurosciences 7, 3-13.

Dunlap, Jay C.  Genetic and Molecular Analysis of Circadian Rhythms,
Annual Review of Genetics 30:  579 - 601, 1996.

Bell-Pedersen, D., Garceau, N.  and Jennifer J. Loros. 1997. Circadian
rhythms in fungi.  Journal of Genetics 75, 387 - 401.

Bell-Pedersen, D., Dunlap, Jay C.  and Jennifer J. Loros. 1996. Distinct
cis-acting elements mediate clock, light, and developmental regulation
of the Neurospora crassa  eas (ccg-2) gene. Molecular and Cellular
Biology 16, 513 - 521.

Bell-Pedersen, D., Shinohara, M., Loros, J., and Jay C. Dunlap.  1996.
Circadian clock-controlled genes isolated from Neurospora crassa are
late night- to early morning-specific.  Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 93,
13096 - 13101, 1996.

Merrow, M., Garceau, N., and Jay C. Dunlap. 1997.  Dissection of a
circadian oscillation into discrete domains.  Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA
94, 3877 - 3882.

Garceau, N., Liu, Y. Loros, Jennifer J. and Jay C. Dunlap.  1997.
Alternative initiation and time-specific phosphorylation reflect complex
regulation of the circadian clock protein FREQUENCY. Cell 89, 469 - 476.

Liu, Y., Garceau, N., Loros, Jennifer J. and Jay C. Dunlap.  1997.
Thermally regulated translational control mediates aspects circadian
temperature responses in the Neurospora circadian clock.  Cell, 89, 477
- 486.3

Crosthwaite, S., Dunlap, Jay C. and Jennifer J. Loros.  1997. Neurospora
wc-1 and wc-2:  Transcription, Photoresponses, and the Origins of
Circadian Rhythmicity.  Science 276, 763 - 769.4

Shinohara, M., Loros, Jennifer J. and Jay C. Dunlap. 1998.
Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) is regulateed on a
daily basis by the circadian clock.  J. Biol. Chem. 273, 446 - 452.

Luo, C., Loros, J. J., and Jay C. Dunlap.  1998. Nuclear Localization is
Required for Function of the Essential Clock Protein FREQUENCY. EMBO J.
17, 1228 - 1235.

Shigeyoshi, Y., Taguchi, K., Yamamoto, S., Takeida, S., Yan, L., Tei,
H., Moriya, S., Shibata, S., Loros, J. J. , Dunlap, J. C. and Okamura,
H. 1997.  Light-induced Resetting of a Mammalian Circadian Clock is
Associated with Rapid Induction of the mPer1 Transcript. Cell 91, 1043 -
1053.

Liu, Y., Merrow, M., Loros, J. J. and Jay. C. Dunlap.  1998.  How
Temperature Changes Reset a Circadian Oscillator, Science, in press.