Morel mushroom poisoning?
frenesi at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 4 11:15:08 EST 1998
john doe wrote:
> >Last year I had a morel dinner with maybe 6 mushrooms sauteed in a
> >sauce along with drinking a glass of wine. I was knocked out kind of stoned, sick,
> >hungover for over a day.
> Although I have never heard of it occurring with morels, there is a
> mushroom that produces a chemical that in combination with alcohol,
> produces the effect you describe. Otherwise, consumption without
> alcohol produces no health affects. Once medical science learned of
> this chemical, and was able to synthesize it, it was marketed as an
> anti-alcoholic drug: given to alcoholics, it definitely encourages
> them to stop drinking (as long as they continue to take the drug).
> I'm sorry that I cannot be more specific at this time. If I can dig up
> the name of the mushroom and chemical, I will pass them on.
the shroom is "coprinus atramentarius" commonly known as "inky cap" or
"tippler's bane". it's probably a good idea never to eat any coprinus
with alcohol. the toxin in coprinus is coprine. alcohol neednt even be
consumed with the shroom...if you regularly use alcohol you might
develop symptoms...these being reddening of the ears and nose, a
metallic taste in the mouth,lightheadedness, rapid heatbeat, nausea,
More information about the Mycology