Sparassis Crispa

Brian McNett _brianmc at telebyte.net_
Thu Oct 1 15:28:13 EST 1998

In article <360F3DD6.6D5 at msi.se>, westlin at msi.se wrote:

> George Riner wrote:
> >
> > Not that it matters for purposes of edibility, but S. herbstii could
> > be considered similar.  Bessette claims that S. herbstii is often
> > misidentified as S. crispa.
> >
> > On 21 Sep 1998 06:49:47 -0700, pax at pathway.net (Cheryl Amon) wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all
> > >
> > >I have a large mushroom growing in my front yard here in Pa that I have
> > >identified from Bessette et al as Sparassis Crispa. Not being a native of
> > >North America (ie I am from Australia) I was wondering
> > >a) Are there other mushroom species that might be mistaken for S. Crispa?
> > >b) Bessette says that S. Crispa is edible and choice. Is there an optimum
> > >time to harvest S. Crispa?
> > >
> > >Geoff W
>
> What a coincidence i just also found one i beleive is s. crispa.
> I live in Sweden and I never saw one before. The book says it
> smells of aniseede and it does. It also says it's edible and good.

Sprassis herbstii, (= Sprassis spathulata) is considered the "correct"
name for the eastern U.S. species of Sprassis.  What has been called
Sprassis radicata in the western U.S., may in fact be the "true" Sprassis
crispa (i.e. the same species as found in Europe).  If your "cauliflower"
lacks  a rooting base, that's Sprassis herbstii.  Sprassis crispa has a
deeply rooting base.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, 20-30lb. (or even
50lb.!) specimens are not unheard of, but the average is 1-5lbs.

--
A cursory examination of the header reveals
a dead obvious anti-spam measure.