Fungi found 10/4/98, Columbia Gorge, OR

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Mon Oct 5 12:01:18 EST 1998

Finally had a good rain Oct. 1&2, and figured it was time to see what was
coming up in the gorge. So went on a 2-mile hike through an area which was
largely a silty sand-dune in the Columbia River Gorge. Found a total of 17
species which I brought home and keyed out using Mushrooms Demystified and
Audubon Field Guide.

Ecology of the area was mostly deciduous hardwood overstory: Bigleaf maple,
Black cottonwood, scattered Douglas fir, Water birch, Western hemlock, Oregon
White oak; medium story (shrubs): Western hazelnut, Oceanspray, Snowbrush,
Peachleaf willow, Bitter cherry, Pacific Serviceberry, Cascara, Ninebark, Red
huckleberry; understory included Horsetail rush, Small False Solomon's seal,
Trailing blackberry, Maidenhair fern, Sword fern, Bladder fern, Lady fern,
Deer fern, Indian pipe, Stinging nettle, Rattlesnake plantain, and others.

Fungi found (identified by poster) include:

Baeospora myosura on Douglas fir cones;
Coprinus micaceus on Bigleaf maple limbs, stumps, snags
Ganoderma applanatum on Black cottonwood logs
Ganoderma oregonense on Bigleaf maple logs
Geastrum saccatum on soil
Hygrophopsis aurantiaca on wood, possibly maple
Lycoperdon marginata on sand
Marasmius copelandii on well-degraded maple or cottonwood
Mycena haematopus on leaf litter
Omphalotus olivascens on wood
Paxillus panuoides on wood (cottonwood?)
Phanaerochaete chrysorhiza on Black cottonwood or Bigleaf maple
Phanaerochaete chrysosporia on Western hazelnut
Pluteus cervinus on Bigleaf maple
Poria spissa on wood
Psathyrella velutina
Trametes hirsutus on Bigleaf maple
Xylaria hypoxylon on wood

Of these, perhaps the most interesting to me is Phanaerochaete chrysosporia,
a parchment or crust-fungi that I typically find on older Western hazelnut
snags, especially when still upright. This fungus has the interesting ability
to degrade many toxic chemicals: dioxin, DDT, PCP. So far, I have found it
growing wild solely on Western hazelnut, which presents a possible
bioremediation effect if it can be cultivated on, say chipped hazel branches
or limbs. Fortunately, Oregon produces some 95% of the world's hazelnut crop,
also called filberts.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com