First Edible Fungi 1999

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Tue Apr 13 18:37:41 EST 1999

Just for the information of all the Morel hunters in the USA, although
here in the UK I have not found any Morels yet (they are rather uncommon
here anyway) I have found a few ounces of our earliest edible mushroom
Calocybe Gambosa, or St.Georges mushroom. The English name refers
to the fact that these delicious Tricholomas usually appear around
the Saint's day of April 23rd. They are thus a fortnight early.
Personally I prefer these to Morels - it is a pity you don't appear
to get them in the US.

Good hunting.

Edwin Hutton.