Mushroom identification

Marc Palmer marc at anyware.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 11:55:10 EST 1999

In article <81hppm$d4j$1 at autumn.news.rcn.net>, misterguch at chemfiesta.com
says...
> How difficult is it to learn to distinguish the different types of mushroom
> >From one another?  My wife claims to be able to do it, but she does this
> just by looking at the pictures in books.  Am I likely to be poisoned
> anytime soon?

I do the same - but I only eat extremely obviously edible ones such as
Pleurotus Ostreatus (Oyster), Macrolepiota Procera (Parasol), Lepista
Saeve/Nude (Blewits), Calvatia Gigantea (Giant puffball) etc.

It's rarely possible to be 100% sure about a mushroom from visiual cues
alone. Only with other factors - such as smell, location (what it's
growing on and near), and most important spore type/colour - can you
truly pin the fungus down.

However, if your wife is experienced at identifying the common edibles
AND can identify the really posionous ones too, then you're probably OK.

How big's your life insurance? ;-)

--
Marc Palmer (all views are my own and not representative of Cardiacs)

If you haven't heard CARDIACS may I respectfully advise you
to visit http://www.cardiacs.com/button.html