creating hollow oaks with Fistulina hepatica

NICKLAS JANSSON nicklas.jansson at e.lst.se
Sat Feb 13 12:32:18 EST 1999

I m working with nature conservation in Sweden and in a Nature-reserve =
with big old hollow oaks (and hold a lot of thretened insect species =
living on and inside the trees). The problem is that they are so old that =
they are dying and ther are no other hollow oaks in the area. Here we want =
to try to =22make=22 younger oaks hollow too.=20

So now I m looking for information or a person whith knoledge arround the =
tecnic used in England when making oak wood darker. I know that one use =
the =22beefsteak fungus=22 (Fistulina hepatica) and inoculate it s mycelia =
in living oaks. But I wonder for exemple when and how they do it.

Nicklas Jansson
L=E4nsstyrelsen E-l=E4n
Milj=F6v=E5rdsenheten
58186 Link=F6ping